There was so much to dig into this week on Politini. From our post inauguration hangover, Beyonce-gate, and Hillary in the hot seat we covered it all and had time for a cocktail while doing it. Did you miss out on Thursday night’s #cocktails and conversation? No worries get you get your Politini fix here.
Make sure to tune into Politini EVERY Thursday from 8-9pm EST on Blis.Fm!
Without further ado let’s get to this week’s Poliwood Round-Up:
5. Danielle in the NY Times: On Inauguration day the NY Times ran a story asking nine individuals about their thoughts on the President’s first term and our hopes for his second. Danielle was chosen as “the newlywed” to discuss her thoughts on the President’s evolution on marriage equality and the work still ahead to ensure equality for all families.
4. Beyonce-gate: Unless you were under a rock this week you were bombarded with “news coverage” on whether Beyonce sang the Star Spangled Banner over a pre-recorded track or sang live. As fans the coverage was frustrating to watch. Beyonce gave a rousing performance as she always does. Our hope is that we can all move on from this frivolous debate and back to anticipating her Super Bowl performance next month.
3. Michelle Obama’s Boehner Snub?: After the inauguration the President and First Lady sat for lunch with dignitaries before heading to the parade. The First lady was seated in between her husband and Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner. In a report by Gawker and countless others the First Lady can be seen being tapped by Boehner as if to join a conversation and then the First Lady rolling her eyes… we died! We often roll our eyes when we see Boehner too so we felt her pain. Yet, after lip-readers got involved it was stated that Boehner told a joke about smoking that the FLOTUS didn’t find amusing. Well, regardless of the reason–the reaction did give us something to laugh about this week.
2. Inauguration: We sat in the cold for 7 hours to witness history again! It was site to see and a speech to hear. We have never felt so proud to be Americans than in that moment. We were also extraordinarily blessed to participate in not one but three Balls this time around…what a difference four years makes. Let’s hope the next four are just as inspiring as the last four.
1. Hillary in the Hot Seat and Burns Down the House: Hillary’s public service clock may be winding down (for now) but before she leaves her Secretary of State post she sat for 5 hours on Capitol Hill to discuss Benghazi. While on the Hill the Secretary was peppered with questions of the “would of-could-of brand” with regard to the tragic American deaths and uprising in Benghazi– but nothing got Hillary more annoyed than a statement from a Republican Senator that essentially called the Secretary and her staff liars. As the Secretary said “we are operating in real time” and when you have lives at stake that is where you attention goes. We couldn’t agree more.
That’s it for us this week in Poliwood. Make sure to tune into Politini EVERY Thursday from 8-9pm EST on Blis.Fm where we serve your politics and pop culture up with a twist!