I woke up this morning and couldn’t believe my eyes…someone stole the month of January! One minute I’m giving my wife a New Year’s kiss and the next minute we’re planning a President’s Day trip.
It’s easy to get caught in the hamster wheel of life and allow time to just fly by us, while we’re left spinning our wheels.
So, here are 5 quick ways to make sure you find the time to enjoy the people around you and most importantly nourish your soul:
1. Put a smile on someone’s face! Including yours: Whether you just call an old friend to say hi; give up your seat to someone on the train; or drop a line to see how your grandparent’s are…being thoughtful not only makes others happy but it feeds your soul.
2. Sit and Chew: We have so many meals “on the go” that they’ve invented Go-Gurt for heaven’s sake. What, we’re too busy for a spoon? Take the time to really enjoy your meals. When we turn off our electronics and actually taste our food the enjoyment level the meal increases exponentially.
3. Take a Hike! : We have become a container society. We go from the house to our car then from the car to our job and back again. We never walk without purpose. Sometimes just getting a bit of fresh air and feeling the sun for a few minutes is all you need to get you to 5 O’clock!
4. Have a “Mindful Moment”: How many times do you find yourself driving and wondering how you even got to your destination because you weren’t paying attention? Slow down. We have become so automated that we barely create time to just sit and take in a moment. Here’s a challenge: Once a day close your eyes and feel the ground under your feet and center yourself in the moment. You’ll feel your shoulders drop in a matter of seconds!
5. Rest Easy: Shut off all electronics at least 30 minutes before bed and allow your mind to settle. The blue light in the TV and computer screens were created to stimulate us. Staying in front of a screen right until bedtime is like drinking an espresso and trying to close your eyes!
In the words of one of my all time favorite movies: Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.—Ferris Bueller
Musical fun courtesy of Ferris after the jump…